Introduction - Initial Ideas

As the recession continues and global warming is a huge threat, we are taking the opportunity to use this as our initial idea, or starting point. Using the theme of “The Earth” and “Recycling”, our aim is to create a fun and new approach to dealing with our fears about the future of our world. Bringing everyone in the community together to enjoy nature and let them discover what the world has to offer.
Gemma :-)

Tuesday 22 February 2011

Recyling Artists Create Portraits from Trash

With themes of environmentalism and climate change becoming increasingly popular in the art world, one artist in particular is putting eco-friendly philosophies to practice with portraits made entirely of unwanted objects. Recycling and reusing objects normally destined for the landfill has always been a creative process, but in the hands of a skilled artist, the practice can result in masterpieces superior to works crafted of more traditional mediums. Such artwork has the power to broaden the imagination as well, turning the most unassuming trash-bin or cluttered drawer into an artist's palette.
Inspired by Ecuadorian hairstylists, who are known to use broken jewelry and other shiny objects in their designs, British artist Jane Perkins began creating broaches from similar bits and pieces that would normally go unused. Since 2008, she's expanded her recycling technique to make portraits using buttons, toys, plastic forks--or nearly anything else she can get her hands on, according to BBC Brasil. Her work has been on exhibition in the UK's Devon Open Studios.

Perkins:

'It all started because I have a huge collection of stuff that I have amassed really since childhood. I used to do embroidery and beads and more traditional kinds of things. We did a few recycling projects in my degree course, which I really enjoyed, and from that I started making things with beach debris'

As opposed to traditional forms of recycling, Perkins' art infuses the items she uses with even greater value than they had in the first place--but she still doesn't consider herself a recycler:

'I think I would describe myself as a 'remaker'--meaning that I take things and make them into something else. I started with making broaches in my degree course using broken jewelry and plastic toys. Since then, I've developed into making portraits using found materials in this collage-y way.'

No comments:

Post a Comment